Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to find out an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to take away the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will ensure that if you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you have to take into account the grade where your yard currently sits as well as the amount of soil that you must install to your new lawn. In certain special instances when you might add a layer of brand new soil without having to be above grade, you might leave the present lawn in place. New lawns will require a minimum depth of three inches of the well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed with the use of sod cutter, using a bobcat as well as an excavator in hard to access yards might be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is really important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your new lawn will discover significantly better growth over time in case a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the greater expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The perfect lawn ought to be made with at the very least 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand and the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter ought to be avoided. Soils which contain paper recycling waste and also have a strong odor ought to be avoided also. Typically topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure to ask your supplier the contents of the soil and make sure the composting process is done. A soil analysis having a neutral ph balance should be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf will be the preferred way of installing a new lawn. Sod may be installed throughout the year and turf farms are available to supply all year round.
The range of grass seed or sod to make use of will depend on:
1. The usage of your lawn area. This consists of the quantity of traffic that the lawn area is put through, including pets and youngsters.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures in your climate.
Generally turf that comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are accessible for low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn may be completed with these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams usually do not match on top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little extra work and spending some extra time pulling the joints in the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers all of the soil. If you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a complicated job should you don’t spend the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position using a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to fill in other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod while you install. Do not let the turf dry out at any point. In the event the sod is allowed to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod over a hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared beforehand.
5. Roll the brand new lawn after you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn could be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification for any property.