Beginning with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. As you go along it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. One hundred years of history is, well, plenty of history. But here’s a good beginning.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with all the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it was the initial U.S. chain restaurant to grow to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is older than sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the first Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (designed by Dale Murder who became president and it is now chairman of the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the excellent Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California houses by far the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of AAndW Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds available in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) You will find nearly one thousand A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 inside the U.S.
On June 20, A&W had become the first American restaurant chain to transform 100. The initial frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California in a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W features a long history of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration and also the third year it provides partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV hope to raise $200,000 for that organization, which serves several million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided approximately $6 million in direct good things about veterans.
“Our partnership having aAndW keeps growing annually, so we truly appreciate its support for the ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs of our own American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a hundred years ago, so we are extremely glad to again be working with AAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
In Regards To A&W – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, aw hours still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water as well as a proprietary combination of herbs, bark, spices and berries which can be served in a frosty mug together with burgers, fries, chicken tenders and other All American Food® favorites. You will find nearly one thousand locations worldwide.