A lot of my clients ask me concerning the big square box from the center part of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a set of self-closing louvers. It’s a huge house fan and it may either benefit house owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Use it only when the temperature and humidity outside is far more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. When your air cooling system continues to be operating during the day, and the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity is still high), don’t turn the Tumblr. The vent will suck each of the humid air to your air conditioned house
* A good time periods to utilize it might be, needless to say, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it may not be a good idea to bring all of the pollution in the house. The window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are incredibly powerful and could make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Prior to turn the fan on, open as much windows and doors as possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of your whole house fan (at the very least in the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it would draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for instance, in the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t take away the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow off the pilots.
2. When all things are ready, you may switch on the entire house fan and often in the next matter of moments you must feel a good amount of exterior air flowing at home. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the windows and doors – both really need to be balanced to function properly as a way to really enjoy the whole house fan operation. Air drawn by the whole house fan has to be discharged from the attic vents towards the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created inside the attic area may cause air which had been just pulled from the house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to support the great tumblr operation; you will need considerably more to transport everything extra volume of air towards the exterior. And also the formula to calculate the square footage of the attic vents needed to discharge that air is very easy. All you need is the dimensions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is simply a sample, calculate all the rooms within your house you feel needs to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is actually the area of the required attic vents (them all combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re getting into provides the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up because of its purpose (there could be a tag about the unit itself), which is to replace your house air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes being an optimal time for that house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d must divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from the sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. One more essential thing: louvers in the More hints usually are not air tight and also have no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I might highly recommend installing a huge house fan cover in attic area to prevent air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it prior to deciding to utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and many people never make use of them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet in the event you apply the suggestions above. You will find currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more effective, and provide air circulation for extended periods of time.